Sunday, July 21, 2013

Huge Life Changes

So after so many years of being a college student, that phase of my life has come to an end.  I think that this is one of the most nerve wracking changes in my life that I have ever experienced.  A label that I have had for so much of my life has all of a sudden been taken away from me and unfortunately the university that I attended did not have the resources available to make a successful transition from being a student to an employed member of society.  I honestly did not realize how hard it would be to find a job with a Sociology degree.  However, in an attempt to earn an income before my student loans start coming due I have been using my crafting abilities to sell skirts out of re-purposed jeans.  I can only hope that I am able to make enough that I won't have to take a job that is meaningless and far below my education and skill set.

I have been knitting a lot since I have graduated and finished many projects as well as working on some very long term projects.  I have been working on the Beekeeper's Quilt and a scrap sock yarn blanket which are both projects that take a lot of time to complete.
 

Another long term project that I am working on is the My Year in Temperature Scarf which is a very interesting project that has to take a year if you are doing the current year, which is what I am doing but many other people that are making this scarf are doing a year which was significant to them such as the year that they were married or the year that they were born.  The very interesting thing about this project is that no two people will have the same scarf because of where they are located.

I have also been pushing my knitting ability by adding new skills.  I am currently learning to knit socks on one long circular needle, which I am like very much and am finding it very handy for the sock patterns that I have that are not easily divisible by four which had stopped my previously when I was using only dpns.  I am also learning to knit lace from charts.  I have used charts for small stitch patterns but never for something as large or complicated as lace shawls.  I have found that it is not nearly as complicated as I had once thought that it was.  I am going to continue to expand my knitting skills so that when I am able to open a yarn shop in the future I will have a wide range of skills and abilities.

No comments: